Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Friday, January 14, 2005

 

Poker/General: Time is not on my side

Two weeks into the new year and I have not had much time for anything really. My poker play has taken on a weak appearance as I've tried to tighten up and with the brilliant clarity of hindsight I'm not winning as many pots as I would have. For whatever it's worth, since I'm playing at .50/1 I've at least killed the habit of trying to bluff the calling stations which is obviously a bet saver right there, but on the other hand I'm not giving as much action as I have in the past and I'm definetly seeing a trend of not winning as often or as much as I have. Without some adjustments I'll probably actually bust out here in the next couple of weeks. Oh well, if change was easy, then everyone would be doing it.

On the weight thing, I'm down 6 pounds from the last couple of weeks strictly from diet change. I'm still trying to get my sleep schedule back on track after the holiday/vacation cycle where sleep was "optional." I'm hoping to actually get the exercise portion of the plan started next week, but at least I'm trending in the right direction. 6 down, 44 more to go. :)

The boy is at the stage where we're trying to get him off baby food and he doesn't want to. Pretty frustrating in general more because he's still not able to really communicate beyond a shake of the head and clamping his mouth shut like a vice. You just can't reason with someone who lacks the capability to reason in the first place. Don't get me wrong, fatherhood is great but with times like these where you're trying to make adjustments and develop your kid, it leaves me feeling a little(lot) stupid and discouraged. Granted, people have been raising kids for thousands of years and and in much worse circumstances so I'll count my blessings that in most ways the boy is a happy kid and other than the standard infant/toddler things is relatively low maintinance and fun to hang out with.

I'm jelous of Hdouble. Not so much because of his cool new gig, but more because he's actually getting to go work in an organization that does stuff he has a lot of passion for. As an IT person, I've personally evolved beyond the point where the hardware and software is geek-a-licious. I've developed my skills and knowledge to a point where I actually care about things beyond the technology and frankly it is depressing. So much wasted time and manpower out there all for the short term game with no concideration for the big picture. Whatever, I'm good at what I do and make a good paycheck. Perhaps in a year or two I'll reach a state (financially) where I can feel comfortable trying to do something myself and move from the rat race.




<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?