Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

 

Poker: The bet just doesn't matter

So I'm sitting at the tables tonight, finally getting recovered from the plague that overran my house. I have to say I sat down to a real winner tonight. Maddog288 (that really is his Party handle) is running over the table with PFR, PFRR, etc. It's a fairly weak table but he's showing down some weak hands that are just catching. I got to thinking about how I would have played with someone like that a year ago. I probably would have been very passive, not played at all, or at best check-called my good hands. Well, not the new and improved sloejack, no sir-e-bob. I took one look at his play and how loose and agressive he was being and decided that I would use him to recover my challenge status. And then he left the table. Bastard. Of course not before I picked his pocket for about 20BB and he mine for 10BB. So I net +10BB for the 30 minutes or so he was there and I get to go away and blog (brag?) about it.

Anyway, playing against someone like that who was showing such raw, naked, stupid, agression was enlightening to me. I can honestly say that I am a much smarter player today and was able to resist joining the melee and look for my opportunities to fleece the player. It didn't always work out, like the time his K2 beat my AK with a KQKJ board that rivered a 2. However, I didn't even flinch (I am the super man), I actually smiled and waited my turn. :) This in and of itself is a nice change of pace where last year I would have steamed, pissed and moaned, etc. His bets were staggering for $.50/$1 but I paid it no mind, slotting his activity as his way of showing me just how much money he would like to donate. About the smartest thing that fellow did was get up and leave the table. That did make me sad. Not just because he left, but because the table broke up shortly after. I guess those sharks lost the scent. If you troll those low limit waters, keep an eye out for my new buddy. :)




<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?