Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

 

Poker: Weak!

So my Neteller EFT deposit finally went through yesterday so I was ready to throw $50 into my account at Party to kick off the New Year. I am a weak man. I logged into Party last night and lurked at the Blogger tables and tried mighty hard to resist playing. Well I resisted temptation last night but I just couldn't do it any more today. So, in goes $50 to Party and oh looky I get a micro bonus. I should clear that off really quick, so I'll play some 7-stud since those pots always get raked. Color me stupid why dontcha?

I cleared all but 10 hands before I finished donating $25 and I had already crippled my challenge bankroll. Oh yes, I is the smart one. Well, I have conclusively proved that not knowing how to play the game will definitely make you a loser in the long run. I think my trouble with 7-stud is that it seems easy. You see lots of cards on the table and with a relatively good memory I can remember how many of a suit I saw when I'm looking for a flush or trying to figure out if someone chasing theirs had a chance of catching or not. I think overall I was doing ok for the first 30 minutes and was even up about 15 BB. Then I let my concentration slip back to work, chased some things that I shouldn't have, tried to bluff a calling station, and shazam! I'm thinking to myself WTF? Was this really such a good idea?

Now that that little experiment is over I figured there is no reason not to either attempt to correct the downswing or bust out completely (all or nothing baby!). So I take my remaining $25 and go find a 'juicy' table. To make a long story short, the juicy table turned into a rock garden, but not before I had run my chipstack up +37 BB. With the 10 added on from the bonus (which I will use some creative accounting to claim as a stupidity deduction from my 7-stud tax) I'm sitting at +22 BB for this level ($.50/$1) and need to add on 28 more BB to go up to $1/$2 where it will start all over again.

50 BB per level seems like a nice achievable number in that context. I think the mental troubles come in when you start relating those BBs to their dollar value. Definitely a tough thing to avoid but no sense in dwelling on it now.

My card playing (7-stud not withstanding) was a little rusty but over all I was happy with my results. There were two times where I wasn't paying attention and paid someone off after getting a read on their hand too late and early on (first 30 hands or so) I wasn't playing nearly as aggressive as I should have PF but that got fixed quickly. Rusty but not bad for what's been basically a 3 month hiatus from card playing. I haven't really even been playing in the college poker championships since I already qualified in the super satellites for the satellite that's now been scheduled for March I think. Funny, I start school back up in March as well... maybe not so funny. :(

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to write for my next "12 days till new year" article, I'm sure something will come to me, if not I'll make it up and blame the results on a drunken haze and some loose women. Speaking of women, Pauly is pimping hard for Elisha but I'd have to say my belongs to Kate.




<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?