Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

 

General: Things that get the foot tapping and booty shaking

After reading through all the lists of 'top 5 favorite songs', it occurs to me that just thinking about it started a maelstrom of thinking in my little brain. How can you possibly limit yourself to a top 5 songs? This is why my music collection is hundreds of CDs and hundreds of gigs of MP3s. Pure lunacy to even attempt to constrain music so. Having a decent memory and a good ear for music, I can recall title and artist on most anything I've really listened to and deemed 'good' music. After 11 years this still surprises my wife and you got to figure that after that much time, if I can still surprise her with anything about me, that's got to be something. Then again I'm full of basically useless trivia, among other things. So after much anguish and brain wracking I came up with my own list of 5 songs that if I were forced to never listen to anything else ever again, these would be them in no particular order:

Da Hool - Love Parade
George Strait - Ace in the hole
Dido - Thank You
Enya - Boadicea
Nelly - Air Force Ones

It's very hard not to try and re-edit that list over and over again (I've already done it 11 times).

I have a subscription to Rhapsody and fortunately they've got a fairly wide and deep collection of music that makes setting up mood music for coding, playing, writing, etc pretty easy. One of the things I struggle with in dealing with my personal music collection is the sorting and grouping of it. The best I can do is grouping by Style, beyond that I generally just construct lists of songs I'm specificity wanting to listen to instead of having a random stream of one specific style.

To that end, Rhapsody has a radio feature where I can plug in my favorite artists and then it will stream music at me that fits those types. The upside is that I get a large selection of tunes streamed my way. The down side is that there's no sense to the music, it's just spewing random selections of everything in those genres. I think this is one of the reasons I like the DJ/Mixing culture so much. For me, I can fixate on a beat or melody and then string songs together that hold or shift the feeling or splice things together to make something really cool. Currently working on a mix of Snoops "Drop it like it's Hot" and Missy E's "Work It" that should be off the hizook [sorry, couldn't help it].

This tangential spew brought to you by the number 5 and the letter M.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?