Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Saturday, September 18, 2004

 

General: Resident Evil & Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

I hadn't been to the movies in awhile and while talking with Steel_Rain I figured there were at least a few out recently that I had not seen yet and that wouldn't be an unplesant way to spend the afternoon alone. First up, Resident Evil: Apocolypse. Of movies based on video games, this is probably about as good as it gets. The Mortal Combat and Street Fighter flicks left a lot to be desired. The Resident Evil movies on the other hand have everything you could want in a movie like this; guns, zombies, creative deaths, attractive stars, and a nice straight forward plot line. To put a little icing on the cake, they left it open for what should be an interesting third movie. Damn that evil Umbrella Corporation! This one's a keeper for when it comes out on DVD.

I also saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. All in all it was just wierd. I'm one of those people that rarely sees a bad movie. If I think a movie is going to be bad, I just won't watch it. If on the other hand I watch a movie regardless of what the critics think about it, I tend to find something I like about them. Anyway, I didn't say that because I think people will decide that this is a bad movie, just that when you take a 1940 style setting and then apply the robots of the future plot line you've got to do something a little different to entertain the audience here in 2004. And this is where I ran into something I thought was annoying. A lot of the language and manners just didn't fit the setting. Perhaps they should have named it Sky Captain and the World of Yesterday. Based on the actions and speech used you would think that what really happened is that someone from present day was transported back into the 40s to fight off the evil invaders. I liked the plane, that was cool, got to get me one of those :) Otherwise, it was worth the watch, but probably not a repeat.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?