Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Saturday, July 10, 2004

 

Poker: Sometimes the deck really is stacked against you

Well, the winning streak had to end some time, I guess this morning was it. I don't feel that I played badly (well at least not until I was down the $1.75 and just threw it in the pot in disgust) but I was getting flopped and rivered to death the whole way. Normally I don't care that the fish have no respect for my raises and bets because it pays me off, however this morning they couldn't miss. Two classic hands come to mind, me with KK, raise pre-flop, get re-raised, and I cap. The flop is rainbow trash so I lead out and get called. Turn is more junk. Or rather, if you happened to have 53 you'd have a straight, but who would raise and cap pre-flop with 53? The river is more junk and I lead out, get raised, I re-raise, he caps. Hmm, did I just bet into Aces or did he catch a set on the river? No, it was 53s. A later hand I have QJs and I raise pre-flop and get one caller, flop comes with junk and it gets checked to me so I bet and get called. The turn brings a J and it gets checked to me so I bet and he calls. The river brings a 5 and he bets. Again, I couldn't believe that someone would call a preflop raise with J5 (you would think I would learn) and I raise, he re-raises, and I call because while I didn't believe it starting out the re-raise made the spidey senses tingle. We flip our cards over and what does he have? J5o, thank you very much. Like I said, I normally like guys like this, but plays like that just couldn't miss for these folks this morning. Oh well, I'll get em next time.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?