Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

 

Poker: Grind me up and spit me out

So I caught some time late this evening and continued prodding at the $2/$4 game on Absolute. Generally it's not what I would consider a tough game, but the players in general there are weird. For example, there is one fellow who never raises preflop regardless of what he has, and usually will check-call you all the way to the river with the best hand. I guess on one hand this is a blessing in disguise since you generally never get heavily invested in a pot. On the other hand, the only solution I've found (and I really don't like it) is just to get out of any hand he'll see the turn with. Anyway, it's quirky play but I can work past that.

On the other hand, tonight's game just couldn't go right if I had bribed someone. Another player on the first table I sat down at was in every hand with any two cards. This looked like a gold mine just waiting for me so I sit down and proceed to start looking for hands to begin the strip mining operation. Now, not only will this individual play any two cards, but they'll also pre-flop raise with them, raise on the flop, or anywhere else for that matter. I'm not sure yet if this was hidden genius or a real live maniac. The problem with playing against this guy was getting hands to stand up against literally anything. A classic example was KK against J4o. Flop had a 4 in it, the river added a J and I didn't improve beyond my KK which I was pushing and pumping the whole way. So $40 later, I recharge (generally something I never do) because I've decided that based on the cards he's playing, this absolutely must be luck. Unfortunately a few hands into my rebuy he bails... with my money. Bastard. Try as I might I can't seem to catch any cards so I eventually bail for a dinner break.

I come back for a few quick hands before bed and am soon joined by JD who I ended up paying off for his straight flush that I knew he had but just didn't want to believe. On an up note though, a few hands later I dropped the mortal nuts with quad aces on the river. That was fun. :) All in all a down night actually, but the aces really soften the blow.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?