Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Thursday, July 15, 2004

 

Poker: Fish with Phat Wallets

So I'm actually up working at the moment but there was a lull in activity so I couldn't go back to bed and I figured I'd play a bit until activity picked up again. So off I head for Absolute to try and clear more of my bonus there. I'm looking around and the best games with openings are at $2/$4.

The first game was an absolute (no pun intended) disaster. I'm playing tight and aggressive and catch KTo in the BB, it calls around so I check (mistake #1 maybe). The flop comes KxT, woohoo! It checks all the way around and I want some more bets, so I also check, the turn brings a 2. It checks around again and I figure well they have nothing I may as well take it down now so I bet, and it gets raised by the guy to my left and it folds around to me. Now, this is a pretty loose table so I'm thinking it is possible this guy is sitting on K2 and I can beat that. I thought about it a little more, and none of the previous actions lead me to believe any of the players were too sophisticated so I went with my gut and re-raised, he caps and I call. The river is a blank. He checks and I bet which he raises. Perhaps I missed something? I call and we show. I've got my two pair against his trip twos :( Apparently what I missed was betting on the flop and giving the win away. Shame on me. I start to bring myself back up to even and the table starts losing players like someone farted. Aw well, I'm -6 BB and start looking for a new table.

Fortunately there's another equally loose 2/4 table with 10 players so I get on the waiting list and am shortly presented a seat. I sit down and prepare to try and recover my previous losses. I'm met by the official tour guide for this little cruise down the suck out river. Beautiful cards like AKs, AQs, QQ, KK either having flops miss the suited stuff with rags of other suits, or even worse giving the second of the two bottom pair to the fish on the river. -15 BB later I'm busted out of the table and I'm beginning to think it just might not be my night.

Ok, I know I'm playing well, maybe if we trim down the number of fish a little things will hold up better. Oh look, there's a $2/$4 6 max table with a seat open, lets give it another go. I won't go into the details of the hands because some of the stuff I played is pretty embarrassing. Believe me though when I say that the players at this table were sufficiently weak and willing to reload so that I walked away +29 BB after 23 minutes of playing. I was sad to leave but the real work that pays the bills called again. :(



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?