Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

 

Poker: Absolute Trolling

Absolute Poker is an interesting site. It's pretty small, few thousand players on at a time, and only has a few ring games at each level going. The popular one appears to be 6 max. On the other hand, I've got a decent bankroll there that I've decided to play any significantly loose game between $.25/$.50 and $3/$6. I've been keeping an eye on the $5/$10 which also appears pretty loose, but is usually short handed so it would take some actual time just sitting and watching the regulars to know for sure. My first attempt at $3/$6 was interesting. It wasn't a passive game by any stretch so I only got to play 1 hand before dinner, while watching all the others, but the one hand I did play was good enough to cover the ice cold river of cards I had recieved at the $.50/$1 table and put me up a little. My one complaint, other than a lack of action, is that either the client or the players on this site are slow. Maybe it's just a perception thing but it feels slower than other card rooms. My bonehead play of the day, chasing a two outer to the river against a family pot. I think everyone at the table except one person was in this pot preflop. There's one complete lunatic at the table, and of course he'll raise and cap the pot, and chase it all the way to the river with literally any two cards, sometimes he wins (Blind luck?) but most often he loses without even a pair. T3o was a real doozy to see after all the raises, of course the board is mostly a suit he doesn't even have and not even a paired card or odd straight possibility. So anyway, I'm the BB with 56h and it calls around to the known maniac who of course raises. I figure against him I'll agressively defend my blind and raise hoping to see everyone else folds out. No one did, it calls around again. The flop was 973h so I've got a flush and if the 4h or 8h comes I'll have the straight flush. at least two other people caught their flush and raised, and re-raised respectively and the maniac caps. I should have bailed but the pot was huge and it would have been awesome to take it down with the straight flush so I call. The turn is a blank and the cap fest continues, still throwing caution to the wind I'm in there to see the river also come up a blank. Boo. The maniac had Jc9s so I was right not to respect his raise, but one of the other two had the big flush and that's all she wrote. The only thing I can attribute to why I stayed is because I let myself think the money didn't mean anything ($.25/$.50 table) which of course is a bad state of mind to be in.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?