Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Sunday, July 11, 2004

 

General: News Flash

A pony just ran through the grocery store parking lot. If I were still living in west Texas, this wouldn't really be much of a thing but here I am in northern Illinois, it's something to behold. Now, just to illustrate the differences between how things would be handled down home, and how things are handled up here lets take a look at how it unfolded.

Back home if something like this had happened, you could count on at least a half dozen, if not more folks to pull some ropes out of their trucks, corral or rope the horse, and then figure out who's trailer or stall he busted out of. No worries, all in a days fun.

Here, let the goat rodeo begin. Goat rodeo is one of my managers favorite sayings at work. I'm not sure I completely understand why, but it applied here. First of all you have about four squad cars following and trying to cut the horse off, flashing lights, the occasional horn. Yes, this exudes a calm and relaxed approach to catching a spooked animal. NOT! After chasing him around the Jewel-Osco parking lot long enough for me to almost piss myself laughing, they finally manage to corner him, now what? Now, nothing. They basically wait while the local horse vet shows up with a bridal and rope and put him in a trailer and take him away.

So you might ask, Sloe where were you with your rope then if you're such an expert? Sadly, people look at you funny and laugh at you if you brandish such things around here so all but my hat (which I never wear anyway, but I might) lay in storage, most likely never to be used again. :(



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?