Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Thursday, July 08, 2004

 

General: Golf and a movie

So I took a break from work, poker, and generally just everything and went and played some golf this afternoon. I had played the same course earlier in the week and didn't do as well as I would have liked. Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions about being a 'good' golfer, I do however have those inconsistent moments where I remember all the fundamentals and actually implement them properly to make some truly great shots. So the killer for me is that I could be great, if only golf wasn't such an expensive habit to maintain. I wonder if Nike would sponsor a 'Future Pro in Training'? I'm not asking for much, cover the mortgage and food, supply me with some gear and a place to play and I promise to quit my job and play/practice every day and be on the pro tour in a year. I could see how it could work if that Tiger character didn't have Nike wrapped around his putter. Anyway, I shaved 5 strokes off of my previous performance and was pretty happy with that. The weather started turning foul but I wasn't ready to go home yet (I'm a bachelor for a few days while the wife and baby are off at the mother-in-laws) so I went to the movies.

I saw "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks and thought it was a great show, I highly recommend it. The only part of the movie I didn't really agree with was Stanley Tucci's character as the customs director. At the beginning of the movie as he's introduced, he seems to have his eye on the ball and a "do the right thing" approach. However, as the movie goes on he basically turns Tom Hanks character into some sort of nemesis and becomes obsessed with him. The total time span appeared to be about 9 - 10 months. I guess what I don't agree with is such a personality/character shift without more motive. The movie in general was funnier than expected and I'll probably try to figure out a way to see it again with the wife once she gets home.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?