Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

 

Poker: Good Cards = Bad Beats

I think all the recent rash of beatings being posted to various blogs is contagious. I just wrapped up my 20+2 10 SNG series and got slaughtered 4 times in a row. I'd like to thank the maniacs in the first SNG. The first 2 were gone after the very first hand of which I tried to stay in on with AKs but got too expensive with multiple all-ins. The other two were gone soon after leaving 4 empty seats before the first orbit completed and me wounded (~T450) after trying to defend pocket 10s pre-flop against the second set of maniacs. On the upside in both of those cases I would have been beat by the guy that had a real hand (house and flush respectively). While the next three games didn't have a rash of maniacs I'm convinced the dealer was unhappy with me. AK, AQ, QQ, TT, KJ, and AT were all met with granny teeth flops that tripped someone else up or was just plain second best after the flop. The net from tonight's foray into the card rooms resulted in a -$88 loss. Pretty pathetic but I can only blame myself. I tried adjusting my betting habits pre-flop and bet pretty strongly (5-10x the BB), and was still attracting 3+ callers a lot of the time. I think I'm going to go sleep it off now and try again tomorrow.

Ok, not quite to bed yet. I pulled all the info into poker tracker and while the series wasn't spectacular, again I finished up.

# of tournaments: 10
Total Buy-In: $220
Amount Won: $260 (2 1st place and 1 2nd place finish)
Net Amount Won: $40
Finished in the money: 30%
Average Finish: 5.6
Total Hands dealt to me: 377
Folded SB to attempted steal: 75%
Folded BB to attempted steal: 50%
Attempted to steal blinds: 44%
Won when Flop seen: 40%
Went to showdown: 36%
Won showdowns: 48%
Pre-flop raises: 17%

Well that's the stats from the series. Figuring out what needs to be changed so that I move that finishing in the money percentage. Finishing 1st obviously helps take some of the sting out of the series and keep the bankroll moving upward (slowly).



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?