Sloe Times

A journal of my adventures in learning and growing personally and professionally

Sunday, May 30, 2004

 

Poker, Beer, & BBQ

So as I mentioned previously, I'm here in Amarillo visiting my side of the family. Playing a little poker and doing ok, my bankroll is at least moving in the right direction, even if it is not doing it at a hares pace. Reading the various posts about folks adventures at the WSOP this last week was both entertaining and motivating. I've done a fair amount of traveling but one place I've not managed to get to is Vegas, despite numerous attempts. Then again, at the moment it's kind of nice to live vicariously through the exploits of others since the reality of getting away right now are slim and none. I just heard that slim left town. :(

Anyway, hanging with the family has been great. Being back in Texas has been pretty relaxing and oddly enough I can drink some Shiner again. I asked once, shortly after I moved to Chicago from El Paso, why the good folks at the Spotzel Brewery don't ship to Chicago. It seems due to some sort of licensing arrangement, the farthest north they can distribute it is to Missouri. I'm not quite desperate enough to road trip to St. Louis for my favorite beer, but there are times when it wouldn't take much to put me over the edge and do it. Those nice folks need to start a Shiner of the week club and just send me a case of the Bock or Hefeweizen each week. Ah well, enough dreaming, I'll just have to enjoy as much as I can while I'm here.

This evening the whole family went out to one of the best BBQ spots in Amarillo. It's basically a hole in the wall place just north of town, but man they've got a spicy sauce and a juicy brisket that just makes you want to eat till you die..... I would have except the natives were restless so I only got two helpings. The sad part is that, each time I get down here, it just makes me want to stay even more. Don't get me wrong, I like living in Chicago. All things being equal though, I'd rather live in Austin.



<< Home

Archives

May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005   June 2005   July 2005   August 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?